In 1880 Amos
Jones inherited 82 acres of land from his father of the same
name. Just two years later in 1882 he sold it. He
divided his property into 188 lots of varying sizes and
then sold 188 lottery tickets at fifty dollars apiece for each
of the lots. When all the tickets were sold the lottery was held
and each ticket holder was awarded a lot. The grand prize was
the Jonesí 23 acre farm, which was won by Samuel Kriebelís
wife. More important, the lottery determined the number of
eventual population of the village.
It was afterward declared that this method
of sale was not legal, but the results were allowed to stand.
Because of the way the land was divided and because some of the
smaller pieces of land were never claimed, today the yards around many of the homes
in West Point are of different sizes,
and some of the addresses do not run consecutively.
By 1884 West Point was the largest village in Gwynedd Township,
with 30 houses and a dozen businesses, including a brick yard
which manufactured 500,000 bricks a year. The saw mill was
producing 10,000 feet of lumber a week, and Kriebel's engines
were known throughout America. During the summer and fall of
that year a one and a half mile turnpike was built connecting
Sumneytown Pike to Morris Road.
The turnpike incorporated the main
street through the village, and was named West Point
Pike. Allen Thomas, owner of the "West Point Steam Saw
Mill", was president of the West Point Turnpike Company.
This map shows that by 1893 Lukens Station is now named
"West Point Station".
The names Lukens and Jones are gone. The Lukens property
owned by Allen Thomas, and the Jones farm is owned by J.
A group of denizens in front of the West
Point Hotel in 1902.
In 1895 Allen Thomas added 18 acres to the saw mill property,
purchased from George W. Dannehower. In 1903 he sold the mill to
Emma Cassel, wife of George Cassel, for $3150.
By 1911 there were 55 dwellings in the village. A trolley
line ran along West Point Pike, turning northwest past Zieber's
Park on its route from Norristown to Lansdale. The car barn for
the trolley was on West Point Pike, which had ceased being a
turnpike about 10 years prior. In addition to the train station,
post office, general store, tavern, hotel, Zieber's Park, flour
mill, engine company and coal and feed houses, there were now a
brick yard, church, lumber mill, a public grade school and a
Note to above: Lots # 5 and 13 are on Park road between 2nd and
3rd. Lot # 33 is on Park road between 3rd and 4th.
Lot # 183 is the second to the last lot on Jones Ave, where
Jones Avenue comes to an end.